Irish Cabbage Soup
Chef Kevin Dundon
* 2 tablespoons olive oil
* 1 onion, chopped
* 1/2 green cabbage, thick stalks removed and shredded
* 1 leek, trimmed and sliced (visit the “how to chop leeks” video for tips)
* 2 potatoes, diced
* 8 ripe plum tomatoes, diced
* 120 ml/4 fl oz dry white wine
* 1 litre/1 3/4 pints kitchen vegetable stock or water
* salt and freshly ground black pepper
* fresh flat-leaf parsley sprigs, to garnish
Heat the olive oil in a large pan and add the onions, cabbage, leeks and potatoes, stirring to combine. Cover with a lid and sweat over a medium heat for about 5 minutes until softened but not colored.
Add the tomatoes to the pan, season to taste and allow to cook for a couple of minutes. Pour in the wine and allow to reduce by half, then add the stock or water and bring to the boil. Reduce that heat and leave to simmer for 15 minutes until all of the vegetables are completely tender and the liquid has slightly reduced and thickened. Season to taste. Garnish with parsley and serve with warm bread.
PS: Be sure to also check out our other delicious Irish soup recipe, a gorgeous bowl of green watercress and potato goodness.